Wednesday, July 28, 2010

changing counties

Extremely bad news yesterday. I guess that since brian works for the department of housing and human services of boulder county, we can't do foster care through boulder county. They just combined the housing and human services together last year, this is something that has not come up and they are trying to figure out exactly what we have to do. They realized this while they were going through our new certification, it was overlooked earlier because they just don't think of themselves as the same department, they have nothing to do with each other and they are in separate buildings.
I have no idea what this means for us, i know that they are filing a waiver but from what i understand this is only going to let us stay with boulder county long enough for us to transfer our stuff to another county so we don't lose our certification at any time. I am not looking forward to having to transfer to another county. We have developed such strong relationships with the people in boulder county. They know us, they know who we are, what we want, they know our situation. They have been such a wonderful support to me and brian. I am scared to start in a new county. I don't know what kind of services they provide, i don't know how helpful they are, i don't know how they handle their cases. It is very upsetting, i don't like the unknown, i am not good with sudden changes. I am sick of losing, i feel like on my journey to have children, i have lost so much. Many people may not understand how this is such a huge loss for me and brian. Having our lil' love bug in our home was the most incredible experience of our lives and boulder county is an amazing part of this experience. When we lost her, they were there to support us, they have answered my calls, they have cried with me and they have encouraged us. I am so sad that we are losing them. I pray that this will all work out for the best, that this will turn into a blessing.
I have two big fears. I don't want to lose the support we have in our support group, i look forward to and depend on this time to keep me grounded and remind me of why i go through this roller coaster of emotions. I see the happy stories and i enjoy helping others with there journey. I am terrified that we will not be able to go to these groups. If we are still allowed to attend these, i hope we will still be able to relate to the foster families involved. Counties can be so different. My other fear is having to move closer to whatever county we choose. I love living in longmont. I do not like to drive, especially in bad weather. I will have to be within reasonable driving distance of whatever services we will need, depending on the children we have in our care. I am trying to stay positive right now. My husband is trying to make me see the positive possibilities. Maybe the county we go to will have more money, more services and great support. I sure hope so!

3 comments:

  1. I am sorry- the only thing that keeps buzzing in my ear is that everything happends for a reazon- and maybe there is something that is bigger then you happening. Hugs- I really feel like it is going to be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sister, I sure love you! I am so sorry that you guys are going through all this. You are one of the kindest souls I have ever known in my life. Everything will work out, its all going to be ok. I will keep you and Brian in my prayers. I sure love you Gigs, you have and will always be in my thoughts. If you ever need anything please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you ask if your certified in another county if you can still come to group? because isn't support group for "certified foster parents" not necessarily certified boulder county foster parents? i will miss you so much in that group if you're not there! we will still get together outside of that group but i really look forward to seeing and sharing w/you guys there. i'm so sorry lisa. i can't imagine what you're going through right now. i can't believe what all has happened to you this year. you don't deserve all of this.

    ReplyDelete