Tuesday, May 24, 2011

the power of words

Lovebug tells me 'I don't want to play with banana, he makes me annerious'. I had no idea what she was trying to say. She was pretty adamant about it and i asked her why don't you want to play with banana? 'He makes me annerious.' He makes you nervous? 'no, annerious'. Still i had no clue! Again - he makes you delirious? 'Yes, I don't want to play with banana, he makes me delirious!' I laughed so hard. This girl cracks me up! She is so full of language and words and she remembers EVERYTHING she hears and sees. I continued the conversation with her, asking her why banana makes her delirious. She laughed and then she said not delirious. 'I don't want to play with banana because he makes me annerious'. I again said nervous? 'No mommy. Look at me, saaaaaaay an-ner-i-ous'. Once again i couldn't help myself and i burst out laughing. She picks up on all i do. I do that to banana and turtle, trying to get them to say a word. Obviously i wasn't saying the word she wanted me to say. I still have no idea what word she was trying to say! She was pretty sure that annerious was the word she needed to be using and i guess banana makes her feel annerious and feeling annerious is not a good thing because that is the reason she could NOT play in his room! Haha, she is a funny girl, strong willed but funny!

I was trying to get her to play in banana's room because we had a speech therapist here to do an assessment on turtle and they needed some quiet time to do the testing. I had this conversation with lovebug and then i sat down on the sofa to (inconspicuously) watch turtle and his therapist do the testing. It was so strange to experience such obvious and opposite experiences so close together. I just want my little guy to have those words that come so easily to gee and lovebug. He gives up so quickly, knowing the way he says 'cup' doesn't sound anything like 'cup'. It was a 30 minute test and he just didn't have the attention span, i feel like he just gives up. He knows that we can't understand his words, so why try? Makes me so sad for him. He tries and tries, and he lasted for a good 15 minutes but i can see him lose his confidence. The anticipation of playing with someone new loses it's appeal once he realizes it is just a lot of work and i can see he is embarrassed by the way he talks. :( He covers his mouth and looks down when speaking. The therapist had to keep asking him to look up and move his hands. I want to cry for him. It makes me want to rescue him and speak the words for him. He understands everything, he knows exactly what he wants to say. He just cannot get his mouth to say the words that are there in his head. It is so hard to watch.
I hope one day in the near future he will be able to talk like gee and lovebug, spouting off big words. Making me laugh with his attempts at complicated words and trying to repeat adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment