Monday, October 3, 2011

playing catch-up

We had school conferences this last week. They went well for the most part and i have to say that all 4 of my kids seem to have a strong love for learning.
Gee is behind on his letter recognition and sounds. We are really working with him and he loves to learn and is eager, which is a blessing. It will come to him. It is a lot of work to do in a couple months that many of these kids have had the opportunity to develop over the years. I guess that is what really bothers me. We are playing catch up. I know it is what i have signed up for, i know that this is my life, this is my family, these are our obstacles. I just can't help but think sometimes.........what would be different if i had had these boys from the beginning? What if they were mine from birth? I just wish they could have spent their early years learning their letters and singing songs and learning letter sounds and counting and shapes and all the other fun stuff instead of having to worry about their hungry tummies and staying safe and whatever else they had to endure.
Turtle is really struggling with transitions in class and listening. His speech is severely delayed and it is very hard to understand him. I think he gets lost in the classroom and will do anything he can to get attention. They started a star chart and he seems to have made significant improvement. I just wish the speech would come and i think everything else would follow. It is going to take a lot more work and extra time with turtle to catch him up to his peers, he has a long way to go. I feel like turtle has endured the longest length of time with neglect and this is why he is needing so much more time and patience. Gee was spoiled in many ways, banana was taken away at 13 months and turtle was already 2 1/2 years old when he was taken away. He had over a year more of neglect than banana had, he was passed the 'baby' stage when he was removed. No wonder he can't speak. I just know he will get it soon and he will be unstoppable. It's going to take a lot of understanding from me and brian and i really hope his teachers will be patient and will help him to be his best.
I am not to worried about banana. He has the advantage of being the youngest and he will have the opportunity to learn from his brothers and sister. He is in 3 year old preschool and i am definitely not putting academics on him yet. He has a couple years before i have to worry about whether he is behind or not and i don't see that being a concern. He is smart, he tries and he will be able to learn in a safe and loving home. He will be ready for kindergarten.
Same thing with our lovebug. I don't have to worry about her, she is just one of those kids that amazes. It is amazing that she has gone through so much and still has the ability to learn and excel at all she does. She is a determined little girl and i have no doubt she will be reading by the time she starts kindergarten next year.
I have so much more i want to say but will save for another post. I really hope i can take the time and start blogging on a more consistent basis. I just need to slow down and take the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment