Tuesday, October 4, 2011

building for the future

We were at our foster support group a couple weeks ago and one of the caseworkers asked what was going on with lovebug. She hadn't been at support group and she was curious why we had her again. I explained that lovebug's biomom wanted us to have lovebug for the school year, that she had signed a power of attorney through the middle of june. This caseworker then made a comment about 'well, it will be interesting to see what will happen in june'. Really? That is your first thought, that is the comment you make as a caseworker? That is the way you support your foster families? I was taken aback and it has kinda been sittin' and brewin' in my thoughts for the last couple weeks. I just don't understand people, they can be so rude. I am so grateful for every day i have with lovebug. It is a blessing every night i get to tuck her into her bed in my home. I know she is safe. I have had one more day to build her self-esteem. One more day to encourage her to trust herself and to speak up and let her voice be heard. Every night i am thankful for the opportunity i have had that day to build her up so when the day comes when she is not in my home, she will be strong. Whether that day is tomorrow, or in june or when she goes away to college. I get these kinds of comments often, it hurts every time. I wish people could just be supportive and acknowledge the blessings in the moment. Build for the future, don't worry about it. It is what i am trying to do these days, live in the moment. Enjoy the now.

1 comment:

  1. ;( i'm so sorry if i've ever said a comment like that. i'm so proud of how you have mothered love bug. you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete